Wednesday, June 2, 2010

R.I.P. to my Granddaddy

Today, a little after 11:00am, while at work, I got a call from my sister telling me that my Granddaddy John had died. He was my Daddy's Dad. 30 minutes to an hour prior to getting the phone call, I was telling my co worker that I didn't know how much longer he had and may be going to his funeral soon. A few weeks ago, my sister told me that he was going to have to have his leg amputated, but he didn't have it done, hey just moved him from the hospital to hospice. I knew then that I had to get there to see him. So Me, my son, Prophet, my Mama, & brother, Kenan went to visit him last Tuesday. He was up talking, cracking jokes, and laughing, but he still was kind of out of it. He knew my Daddy's name & asked me "are you Johnny's Mama?" lol. I told him no, that I was Johnny's daughter. He looked at my son & asked who he was because he was sitting in the chair with my Mama, I told him & he said " I knew that wasn't none of Johnny's son" lol. He remembered things off and on. He did remember how old my parents were when they got married & being there. My memories of my Granddaddy were going to his preschool with my sister, him buying us the latest game systems/video games for Christmas as a child: atari, coleco vision, etc., going to the mall to buy my favorite pair of guess jeans when I was in middle school, me & my sister getting off of the school bus & running through our apartment complex to get home to see our newborn baby brother, Jonathan & he was passing us because he'd just came by to visit, so he gave us a ride to our apartment, I remember going to his house on Saturdays with our Daddy & he would be watching football ALL DAY, he loved football, lol. After I became an adult, he was in a wheelchair & I didn't see him too often. He lived an hour away & I moved to Atlanta & then had a family of my own. I have to do better about getting out to see my family members, I have so many of them. But I am thankful for the time I do get to spend with them. Memories last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment